The Utah State University chapter of Sigma Phi Epsilon began as a local fraternity called Alpha Delta Epsilon, founded on January 23, 1915. After two years of petitioning Sigma Phi Epsilon national, the fraternity was installed as the Utah Alpha chapter of Sigma Phi Epsilon National Fraternity on March 21, 1936.
In 1942, we closed the front door of the fraternity
house and turned the key for the duration of the war. In the winter of 1946, eight of our brothers opened the front door
of the fraternity house and before the end of the year;
the chapter was once again at quota.
In 1959, we moved into our new ultra-modern house on the hill (837 North 800 East). For the next 40 years, hundreds of brothers called this house their home away from home.
In the late 1990s, the fraternity house was temporarily closed. However, In 2004, we returned to the USU campus as a SigEp colony, Sigma Epsilon Chapter (SEC) with a renewed vigor for Building Balanced Men. After many years of hard work, we rechartered on October 23, 2010, nearly a year after moving into our current house (765 N. 800 E.).
We are excited for the future years of Building Balanced Men, campus involvement, and Utah Alpha!
Sigma Phi Epsilon was founded in 1901 on the campus of Richmond College (now called the University of Richmond) in Richmond, Va. The story of its founding by 12 determined men set the stage for the growth and success of one of the country’s premier fraternal organizations. The history of the Fraternity reflects the times, through great wars and profound cultural shifts. Throughout the decades, the men of Sigma Phi Epsilon have practiced their values and embraced the stated desire of the Founders, “This Fraternity will be different.”
Today, the University of Richmond campus features the Sigma Phi Epsilon Founders Walk, (pictured below) a path in the center of campus that honors the 12 men who started what would become one of the nation’s largest fraternities.
Pick a time period below and learn more about SigEp’s legacy:
Facts and firsts
- SigEp was founded on November 1, 1901, at Richmond College.
- Over the past two decades, SigEp has recruited more men than any other collegiate fraternity.
- Currently, over 15,000 undergraduates are SigEps, more than any other national fraternity.
- Over 300,000 lifetime members ranks SigEp among the largest national fraternities.
- SigEp maintains a full-time professional staff of over 35 people.
- The SigEp Journal has been published continuously since 1904, and is distributed to all members for life.
- SigEp hosts the largest biennial convention in the fraternity world: the Grand Chapter Conclave.
- SigEp was the first national fraternity to establish a housing trust for all chapters and create a National Housing Corporation.
- Sigma Phi Epsilon has the greatest number of fraternity houses, with over 200 chapter homes. Of those, over 115 are owned by local SigEp Alumni and Volunteer Corporations.
- The Sigma Phi Epsilon Educational Foundation was the first fraternity foundation to build an endowment greater than $11 million.
- The Sigma Phi Epsilon Educational Foundation is a 501(c)(3) charitable foundation. Its program funding is planned to develop the scholarship, leadership, citizenship, and personal potential of college undergraduates.